Draft of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Lewistown Public Library Board of Trustees
Thursday,August 8, 2013 2:00 p.m.
Lewistown Public Library’s Mission Statement:
“The Lewistown Public Library provides free and equal access to quality materials and services, which fulfill the educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of the entire community.”
2:05 PM Call to order -- roll call – Regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order by Tom Wojtowick, Chairperson. Members present: Tom Wojtowick, Commissioner Patty Turk, Blanche Chapman, Mary Frieze and Marie Anderson, Ex-Officio; Director: KellyAnne Terry; Excused: Cathy Moser
Recorder of Minutes: Joyce Swanz
Reading of the Mission Statement: Marie Anderson
Revisions to the Agenda:
Comments for the Good of the Library:
- Mary expressed her pleasure in the community being supportive of the Book Sale and how it is such a positive thing for the area. Mary also opened a discussion on what the role of a Trustee is when in the public eye, and she referenced several organizations whose boards have seen changes happen in a public way. Discussion ensued on the role of Trustees and the Trustee handbook was consulted, particularly the areas on ethics and political arenas.
Disposition of Minutes:
- Patty moved to accept the August 8, 2013 regular Board meeting minutes as amended and Mary seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
- The library received the State Aid for the year, which was $4804.00.
- The County approved a 2.5% increase to last year’s contribution, the final number will be reported after the County votes on their final budget.
- The City will vote on their final budget on Monday, September 16, 2013.
- CMF interest funds were taken out and deposited - $5000.00
- Patty moved to accept the claims as presented and Blanche seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Administrative Director’s Report:
- Administrative Director’s Report accepted as presented and the report is attached.
- KellyAnne served as a juror in a trial August 23 – August 29.
- KellyAnne helped with the first Leadership Central Montana program of the year- it was held in the Upstairs Meeting Room on Sept. 10, 2013.
- Culture of Turkey presentation by Joanne Berry and colleagues in Oct. 4, 2013 in the Upstairs Meeting Room.
- The Montana Repertory Theatre will not be doing Of Mice and Men and Rock N Roll by Jay Kettering as planned, but have supplemented the Fall Tour with The Diaries of Adam and Eve. There was an issue with the John Steinbeck estate that revoked the originally planned performance. The date of Sept. 29 and time of 3:00 p.m. is still correct. KellyAnne will begin publicity on this starting next week.
- The author for the Author Dinner in May will be Pete Fromm of Missoula.
- The Chili Bowl will be Friday, January 31, 2014 at Jack’s Hangar.
Friends of the Library:
- The September 7, 2013 Chokecherry Collectible and Regular Book Sale yielded $1200, and over $400 came in with memorials.
- The remaining Railroad books will be sold online – Marie will contact and Blanche reminded the Board that there were still several boxes in storage at the pink house.
- Marie reported that the Friends are thinking of hiring someone to do the outside painting and possibly do a mural or something crafty or artistic for where the sign used to be.
- The Friends also purchased a camera for the Library.
Discussion with the Public
Fall Writer’s Series: Maxine Melton on October 9 and Richard Tenney on October 23.
- Fall Library Meetings: KellyAnne will be in Helena from Sept. 23 – 28 for the Fall Montana Shared Catalog Meeting and the Fall Workshop. She will also be gone October 12 for Federation and October 27 and 28 for Public Library Director’s Retreat at Chico Hot Springs. Oct. 8-9 (State Library Commission in Lewistown)
- The Board will take individual pictures next Board Meeting.
- Chili Bowl – January 31, 2014
- KellyAnne and family will be going on a cruise in December for vacation.
- Tom thanked Mary for introducing Trustee discussion earlier and the entire Board expressed sympathy towards fellow Board Member Cathy Moser on the loss of her husband.
3:06 PM Meeting adjourned.
NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING: October 10, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. in the Upstairs Meeting Room.
Respectively Submitted: KellyAnne Terry, Director