Library Board of Trustees and Minutes
Draft of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Lewistown Public Library Board of Trustees
Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:00 p.m.
Lewistown Public Library’s Mission Statement:
“The Lewistown Public Library provides free and equal access to quality materials and services, which fulfill the educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of the entire community.”
2:10 PM Call to order -- roll call – Regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order by Tom Wojtowick, Acting Chairperson. Members present: Mary Frieze, Commissioner Patty Turk, Blanche Chapman and Cathy Moser; Administrative Director: KellyAnne Terry; Excused: Marie Anderson, Ex-Officio; Recorder of Minutes: Joyce Swanz
Reading of the Mission Statement: Blanche Chapman
Revisions to the Agenda:
- Additional Comments on Summer Reading Program
Comments for the Good of the Library:
- The Author Dinner was a success - sold out at 120 tickets.
Disposition of Minutes:
- Minutes were amended by adding Cathy Moser to members present.
- Blanche moved to accept the March 14, 2013 regular Board meeting minutes as amended and Cathy seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
- Patty moved to accept the claims paid for April, Blanche seconded and the motion passed.
- CMF interest funds will be taken out at the next Board Meeting.
Administrative Director’s Report:
- Administrative Director’s Report accepted as presented and the report is attached.
- The Library’s Excellent Library Service Award was mentioned at both the County and City Commission Meetings
- Central Montana Leadership’s graduation will be held May 21 at the Yogo Inn – KellyAnne’s group project is shopping habits of Central Montana and it will be presented at the graduation
- Budget – Preliminary Meeting will be held June 11 at 3:00 p.m.
- I Do: A Cultural History of Montana Weddings – reception to be held on May 22 in conjunction with the Friends of the Library Donor/Volunteer Recognition Party
- KellyAnne and Cathy completed the New Trustee Training
- Summer Reading Program – Dig into Reading and Groundbreaking Reads – will begin June 4
- Spragg Books were purchased from Random House and those that weren’t sold can be returned.
- Compliments at the City Commission meeting with applause when it was announced the Author Dinner was sold out.
Friends of the Library:
- May sale made $780.00
- Book Collection that was donated to the Friends will be sold at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in August
- The Library received a letter from City Planner Duane Ferdinand announcing that Creel’s new owners would like a conditional use permit to put a crematorium in their building. The Board discussed this and some concern was expressed, mostly about the location of the actual crematorium. A public meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 16 at the Council on Aging with the City/County Planning Board. Library Trustees are encouraged to attend.
Discussion with the Public
- MLA in Missoula – KellyAnne reported on this conference and felt it was one of the best ones she had attended since becoming director. State Librarian Jennie Stapp is very involved at a grassroots level and is easy to work with – this year the library will see an increase in State Aid (from $.10 per capita to $.40 per capita).
- Montana Shared Catalog Spring meeting in Miles City – KellyAnne attended this meeting and announced various changes in the Workflows Upgrade including mobile device checkout and cataloging to RDA. The State Library would like to see an increase in FTE staff to help support the growth in school libraries joining the MSC. This will be an ongoing discussion and will also involve the Office of Public Instruction.
- Author Dinner – Mark Spragg gave a very literary/library oriented speech and the event was a success. The Library raised close to $4000 for their efforts of selling tickets and the silent auction.
- May 22, 2013 @ 5 – 7: Recognition of Donors and Volunteers event at the Library, also a reception for the Wedding Culture Exhibit
- May 28, 2013: Charlotte Caldwell, the author of “Visions and Voices” a book about one-room schoolhouses in Montana will be presenting at the Library on this date. Both Carole Wicks and Shirley Barrick are featured in the Book.
- The Board expressed a thank you to KellyAnne for all the organizing she did for the Author Dinner event
3:40 PM Meeting adjourned.
PRELIMINARY BUDGET MEETING: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 @ 3:00 p.m. in the Upstairs Meeting Room
NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING: Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. in the Upstairs Meeting Room.
Respectively Submitted: KellyAnne Terry, Administrative Director